Oct 20, 2008

Busy and Beautiful Autumn

Hi All, I am Miss Corn and this is Dumbo Jumbo Owl (his actual name though is DJ Owl, but we here in the Fairyland call him so for his intellect). Before I go further, I warn you, he has no manners, so beware of him. I tried not to bring him in, but he wouldn’t listen to anyone but this blog’s owner. Speaking of him, he’s actually a bit busy with the Autumn festivals and asked if I could help him update you on everything going on in his Plantville so that you’d not go thinking that this blog’s gone forever into the eternal nothingness.

The main reason he was busy was this:

This is a festival celebrated pompously all over India and in South India they arrange dolls of deities and humans on a staircase-like arrangement and worship the goddess on these nine days. In northern parts they celebrate it as Durga Pûja (those who’ve heard of the Durga Pûja in Boston might be familiar with this). So he’s not yet done with packing it all and cleaning it all up. And the next festival Diwali is only two weeks away!

DJ Owl: ‘Zhea! Zhea! Diiiiiwaaalllliiii! Crackers! Love ‘em’

So, he thought Autumn wasn’t all that happy with him as it didn’t rain as usual. Sarad walked in slowly and silently and suddenly something seemed to attract her and she ran into Chennai, her laughter causing thunders and her perfect rows of teeth sparkling like lightning.

Suddenly her top dress slipped off her during her gait pouring forth the ever-awaited milk on her children who gulped it all up like hungry babies they were. In a matter of hours and few days most of them started showing their beautiful forms.

DJ Owl: ‘Zhea. Like me.’

[rolling my eyes] Some make their mother proud with their smiling little blooms.




DJ Owl: Hee hee hee

Some by posing their delicate bodies…

DJ Owl: [whistling]

Some showing off their attractive greens, competing the flowers' beauty...

Some treating her with their proud, big blooms…

Some with their beautiful buds…

And some bring in unexpected surprises. I was asked not to reveal their identity though.

DJ Owl: But I was not! So here it is…

Stop it Dumbo! [whispering] Thank god for his dullness for he didn’t yet break the suspense. Hope you enjoyed the trip. The blog owner would reveal the mystery soon...

3 comments:

Sue Swift said...

That top photo is amazing - I'd have given it a post all of it's own. Looks like there was quite a storm brewing.

You may be waiting for autumn, but we're now well into it. And when I hear that it's almost Diwali time, then I know that here it's almost (but not quite) winter time.

Wish diwali was an international festival - I'd love to celebrate it.

Anonymous said...

Nice post chandramouli. I like the way its written and those blooms are amazing and so it the 'Golu'.

Hey, Can you tell me the name of the white lily like flower (above rose pic). Its stunning...

Chandramouli S said...

Sue: It definitely was! Before deepavali (last week) we had continuous rains and of course my plants were happy and sad a bit.
Autumn's taking leave now. It's quietened after Deepavali (Diwali), which sure was fun. Sure it should be made International! How I love the beautiful display of fireworks and the blasting crackers!

gg: Thanks for the comments again :). Golu is my fave. I can't even imagine how my life would be without all these festivals! Lucky to have been born in India.

The White flower is White Rain Lily (Sorry for not naming them, that stupid DJ was assigned the job). I have saved the seeds of the Yellow variety, and plan to save the Pink one too and the white (waiting for it to give out it's next bloom). Would be glad to send some to you if you want. They're awesome ones and need less space. Wondering if there are other colors! I'd definitely get them all if they're available